Monday, January 2, 2012

A blank page and a moment of happiness

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day." ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce.
Today was Christmas tear down day in our house which is so sad to me because my house almost looks sad and dark. I decided to leave one strand of white lights up in the doorway between the kitchen and living room to remind me of the light of the season. As we were tearing everything down and repacking several tote boxes, I paused and looked my awesome hubby who was vacuuming all the remnants of Christmas off the floor and realized that moment right there was my moment of happiness for today. I was so happy that he was right there with me, helping me because I know he won't be here next Christmas. I watched him and thanked my lucky star for the gift of him. Okay, now that I said the nice part of that I can say this: I could have smacked him when he started tearing stuff down because I didn’t get to finish my coffee. Really???? It couldn’t have waited just another fifteen minutes? I cherish those moments every morning. Oh well, can’t sweat the small stuff. Like I said, next time it will just be me.
Today I spent time relaxing, reading, watching football, and working on the story I have put off writing for about 18 years. Not bad, not bad. Day 2 of New Me journey: goals accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment